The Red Meat Advisory Council (RMAC), in partnership with its members and with support from Meat & Livestock Australia (MLA), released the first State of the Industry Report for the Australian red meat and livestock industry yesterday.
The report shows the value of Australian red meat and livestock exports increased by almost $6bn over the past five years from $9.2 billion in 2011-12 to $15.1 billion in 2015-16. The report highlights our industry’s strong economic credentials and cultural value to Australian consumers. These include:
- We are the leading exporter of beef and goat meat, we are second only to New Zealand in exporting sheep meat & are the third largest livestock exporter worldwide
- Australians eat four times more beef and six times more sheep meat compared to the rest of the world
- We employ 405, 000 Australians directly and indirectly
- We contribute $18 billion to the GDP
- We have achieved 11 per cent growth
- We are a network of 75, 000 strong businesses that have experienced 5 per cent growth
Click here to read the full report.